Valentine’s Dinner 2008 (serving size: much more than we could eat in one sitting! but the leftovers were tasty)
- 1/2 lb. pan-seared sea scallops (reserve remaining 1/2 lb. to sear for leftovers the next day!)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. assorted mushrooms (portobello, crimini, shitake), stemmed
- leaves from a handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Arborio/Risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio)
- 8 cups warm chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Place large, deep skillet over medium heat and coat with EVOO. Add onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Toss in mushrooms and herbs and cook about 10 minutes until mushrooms are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and stir to coat. Season again. Add wine and cook about 1 minute until alcohol has evaporated.
- Add 2 ladles of warm stock and stir with wooden spoon until rice has absorbed liquid. Add 2 more ladles of stock. Repeat process for about 25 minutes. (You may not use all of the stock. Risotto is done when it is slightly firm, but creamy.)
- Gently stir in scallops. Fold in butter and cheese and drizzle a bit more EVOO on top. Serve hot with a garnish of parsley.
*recipe from food network