I had high hopes of cooking gourmet meals as a married couple and savoring the bites together at our cozy kitchen table. In reality, we have limited counter space and small appliances, our new stock pot and skillets are still in storage at my parents’ house, and our kitchen table is often covered with mail and magazines.
And so while we anxiously await a more spacious kitchen (and a dish washer), we turn to quick and healthy pasta dishes during the week.
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- fresh basil
- dried oregano
- crushed red pepper
- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- pasta of your choice, cooked according to box directions
- Parmesan cheese
- Simmer onion and garlic in EVOO over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and herbs. Simmer for at least 20 minutes (the longer, the better!).
- Toss with your favorite pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Check back later this week for two more easy and flavorful pasta dinners!
5 thoughts on “Weeknight Pasta: Penne with Stewed Tomatoes”
Weeknight pasta dishes are nothing to look down at! I’ve come to see that my prowess in the kitchen has less to do with being able to churn out perfectly planned gourmet meals now and again than it does with being able to come up with quick, delicious, fresh dishes on the fly – that is the stuff that gets you through the week. You know that saying, “Life is what happens while you’re busy making plans?” Yep.
If you added black olives, capers and anchovies, you could call this pasta puttanesca…http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_alla_puttanesca