- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- splash of hot sauce, to your liking
- 1 can black beans
- In a skillet, cook chicken breasts in olive oil on medium heat. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet, and sauté 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together masa harina and 1 cup water until well blended. Pour into a pot over medium heat with remaining 1/2 cup water, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, cheese, salt, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Shred cooked chicken and add it to the pot, along with the onions and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add black beans and simmer an additional ~20 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with warm tortillas.