Emily is usually the confectioner in our house, mostly because I don’t like to measure things out when I cook. This recipe, however, is right up my alley, and it was a sweet ending to Challenge Oranges.
This delicious cake only calls for one package cake mix, one package jell-o mix, some eggs, a splash of orange juice, a bit of oil, and a dash of orange extract. (The real measurements are below for those of you who like to measure.)
These are Emily’s hands here, but I assure you I was the one doing the mixing.
For the glaze, mix together some orange juice, sugar, and butter and pour on top. Enjoy!
Here’s another simple recipe that takes advantage of cake mix: lime cupcakes.
Do you have other easy desserts to share?
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- Grease a large loaf pan or a 10-inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup orange juice, oil, eggs, and orange extract. Beat with a hand mixer on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For glaze: In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 1/3 cup orange juice, sugar, and butter for 2 minutes. Drizzle over cake.
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
5 thoughts on “Orange Cake”
YUM! This sounds amazing! 🙂 Can’t wait to try it! 🙂
Nick, don’t do this to me – we do NOT have your cake mixes here, so you better get to measuring things, so Carsten can taste your recipes, too. 🙂 Good to see you posting here. We miss you!
It’s always smart to get a little help from the store, I say! I think my husband would agree. This cake looks delicious!
Yum! Have you guys heard of the cake mix cookie book?! Sounds right up your alley — tons of neat ways to dress up a cake mix!
To think that this all starts with a cake mix and yet you get such a fabulous looking cake in the end. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html