Nick always substitutes sweet potato fries for regular fries when the option is available. In fact, he loves all varieties of the sweeter and healthier potatoes — baked, roasted, candied.
This recipe from food52 combines sweet potatoes with spicy cumin and cayenne. We ate them three nights in a row, which should be reason enough for you to try them. But if it’s not, just take a look at the cool accompaniment: sour cream with lime juice and cilantro. Perfection.
Ingredients for Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
Directions for Fries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes and EVOO in a large bowl.
- Combine salt, cumin, chile powder, paprika, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Add spices to potatoes and toss to coat.
- Arrange potatoes in one layer on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven on lowest rack until undersides are browned, 12-15 minutes. Turn potatoes with a spatula and bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream.
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping Tbsp chopped cilantro
Directions for Dipping Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a medium bowl and whisk together. Stir in cilantro.
(adapted from food52)
5 thoughts on “Spicy Sweet Potato Fries”
This recipe looks awesome. Love sweet potato fries!
These look fantastic! I will definitely give them a shot. If Nick loves sweet potatoes and you have access to a grill, I highly recommend grilling sweet potatoes with onions, apples, evoo and a little brown sugar. I make foil packets and leave them on for about 30-40 minutes. They are always so tender and wonderful!
Thanks for the tip, Amy! We don’t have a grill (yet), but I bet we can recreate this is in the oven. The sweet potatoes and apples combo sounds fantastic! In fact, have you tried it in a soup? http://theculinarycouple.com/2007/10/29/sweet-potato-and-apple-soup/
I love sweet potatoes! This looks like a wonderful way to enjoy them =D.
Sweet potato is really a special food for me. Because it contains lots of calorie and vitamin. That’s why I am not only encourage my kids but also encourage my family to eat this . Your above recipe is truly helpful for me. I will try this at my home as soon as possible.