Nick always substitutes sweet potato fries for regular fries when the option is available. In fact, he loves all varieties of the sweeter and healthier potatoes — baked, roasted, candied.
This recipe from food52 combines sweet potatoes with spicy cumin and cayenne. We ate them three nights in a row, which should be reason enough for you to try them. But if it’s not, just take a look at the cool accompaniment: sour cream with lime juice and cilantro. Perfection.
Ingredients for Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
Directions for Fries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes and EVOO in a large bowl.
- Combine salt, cumin, chile powder, paprika, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Add spices to potatoes and toss to coat.
- Arrange potatoes in one layer on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven on lowest rack until undersides are browned, 12-15 minutes. Turn potatoes with a spatula and bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream.
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping Tbsp chopped cilantro
Directions for Dipping Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a medium bowl and whisk together. Stir in cilantro.
(adapted from food52)