We’ve been planning this trip for almost a year; Nick has been envisioning it for much longer. And today we finally leave for Germany! Here’s a sneak peek at our plans:
- Drive the Romantic Road of quintessential German scenery and culture: medieval castles and Gothic cathedrals and walled villages.
- Spend a night in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and see the city with the Night Watchman.
- Shop at various Christmas markets and ship souvenirs back to the US.
- Eat Mandelhornchen (almond pastries) and Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (black forest cherry cake) and loaves of sourdough bread.
- Visit as many local biergartens as possible and drink as many liters as we can handle.
- Visit Nick’s German godmother in his birth town on his birthday (how cool?!).
- Finally meet the lovely Anne.
- Celebrate Oktoberfest in Munich with my husband, my best girlfriend, and six million others.
- Tour Neuschwanstein, a.k.a. Cinderella’s Castle.
- Find out how Stuttgart’s Volksfest compares to Munich’s Oktoberfest with Nick’s brother and sister-in-law and my brother.
- Spend a day in Schaffhause, Switzerland.
- Inevitably gain 5 lbs from schnitzel, spätzle, brats, pretzels, and heavy dark beers.
I have just a few posts scheduled for the time that we’re gone — including photos of Nick on his birthday. Also, depending on our access to Wi-Fi, I’ll update Twitter and Facebook. And, of course, expect full trip recaps when we return! Prost!