Thanks to Maggie for this most delicious recipe recommendation! Hard pretzels and mustards of all types are two of my favorite things, and so this dish is a total winner in my mind. We served it alongside maple and sage roasted turnips and carrots — ideal for a Sunday supper in December.
- 1/2 pound hard pretzels, coarsely crushed (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a food processor, pulse the pretzels until coarsely ground. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl.
- Wipe out the food processor. Add the oil, whole-grain and Dijon mustards, water, and vinegar. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the dressing into a large shallow bowl, add the chicken breasts, and turn to coat. Dredge the chicken in the pretzel crumbs and transfer to a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet (covered in foil for easy clean up).
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Slice the chicken and serve with the remaining mustard dressing.
(adapted from Gourmet)
7 thoughts on “Mustard-Baked Chicken with Pretzel Crust”
Oh yay! I love this recipe – how can you go wrong with that flavor combination?!
I’m jumping on the blogwagon too! Maggie- I don’t know how I missed this when you posted it, yum. Emily thank you so much for posting about this recipe again or I might have missed out. We enjoyed it for dinner last night, I’m pretty sure it will put into heavy rotation from now on.
Made this last night and it was delicious! Because of my sparse German kitchen, I had to be a little creative. My bottle of red-wine vinegar became my “food processor” as I used it to help me crush the pretzels into coarse chunks. 🙂
I’ve been following your blog for a long time (Sam is beautiful, by the way!) and I finally put some of your recipes on our menu for the next few weeks! My husband and I tried this one on Monday night and we both loved it! He is gluten intolerant so I substituted gluten-free pretzels and it was so delicious! Thanks for the great recipe! We are having Thai Peanut Noodles tonight 🙂