We watched Rachael Ray make a version of this and just had to try it ourselves. It’s easy and versatile and tasty! We served ours with a seasonal blend of roasted yams and butternut squash with cinnamon and nutmeg. And roasted mushrooms completed the plate.
- skinless boneless chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- slices of fontina cheese
- apple butter
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cut each Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brown the chicken on both sides, 5 minutes total. Remove from heat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pastry into equal pieces (depending on your desired serving size, you can cut the chicken and pastry into smaller pieces). Place a piece of cheese on each pastry square and top with spoonfuls of apple butter. Finish with chicken. Pinch the dough up and over the meat and cheese, seal with egg wash, flip the pastry packets over, and brush the tops with remaining egg wash.
- Bake 12 to15 minutes, until golden.