I like fine dark chocolates sprinkled with sea salt and silky smooth creme brulee and hazelnut lava cakes dusted with powdered sugar. Yes, I’ll take any of the aforementioned desserts this Valentine’s Day. But I have a toddler. And a puppy. My days are busy, and my time in the kitchen is limited, and every babysitter is booked next Thursday. That doesn’t mean I can’t satisfy my craving for chocolate, however. These treats are perfect for little hands and a husband with a sweet tooth as big as mine.
Also? They’re the ideal afternoon activity for my busy boy.
First up: Fluffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Hearts. Based on our recipe for Fluffy Peanut Butter Kisses, but all dressed up for Valentine’s Day.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 tsp vanilla
- red granulated sugar for rolling
- Dove milk chocolate hearts
- Stir together milk and peanut butter. Add Bisquick and vanilla. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-inch balls, and roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 6-8 minutes. Place chocolate hearts on top as soon as they come out of the oven. Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Next: White Chocolate M&M Pretzels. Salty and sweet. Fun and festive. Perfect for parties or afternoon snacks.
- bite-size pretzels
- melting chocolates or Hershey’s Hugs
- red and pink M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pretzels on a baking sheet, and place one piece of chocolate on top of each. Bake 1-2 minutes until chocolate melts. Remove from oven and top with M&Ms. Cool until set.
Finally: Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow. I think they call it “puppy chow” for a reason because our canine went crazy while I was mixing it. Oh, and you won’t be able to keep your paws out of it, either.
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup red, white, and pink M&Ms
- (you can also add 2 Tbsp red and pink sprinkles, if you have any on hand)
- Place cereal in a medium bowl. In a small microwavable bowl, microwave white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal, and stir until evenly coated.
- Place 1/2 of the cereal mixture in 1-gallon plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal the bag, and shake until well coated. Spread onto foil, and cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir M&Ms and sprinkles into the remaining cereal mixture. Spread onto tin foil, and cool for 15 minutes.
- In a serving bowl, combine both cereal mixtures. Store in airtight container.
What treats are you making for your family this Valentine’s Day?
I’m linking up today with Hey, That’s Pin-tastic! hosted by AP of I Love You More Than Carrots. And also The Dog Days (of winter) Are Over: Love Challenge. Check out their linkups for tons of great ideas!