Do you know what pairs perfectly with ripe peaches? Cinnamon. And brown sugar. And oats. And vanilla bean ice cream. This recipe combines all of these ingredients (and a few more) into a simple bar. You must make it while peaches are at their peak. In other words, now!
Brown Butter Peach Crumble
Makes 12 bars.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ripe, medium peaches, chopped (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and stir continuously until it melts. It may bubble a little. As soon as you see small brown specks in the butter, remove it from heat. This should take about 3 minutes. Add butter, along with vanilla, to oat mixture. Stir until moistened. Fold in the peaches.
- Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, then let coo for at least 20 minutes. Cut and serve with vanilla bean ice cream. (Keep leftover bars in a sealed container in the refrigerator or at room temperature.)
(Adapted from How Sweet Eats)