Passed down through generations of Rowlands.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup lard
- 4 cups Wondra flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cap full of vanilla
- sugar for sprinkling
- royal icing
- Knead first five ingredients like a pie crust
- Pour eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla into a hole in the center of the dough. Stir.
- Flour your hands and a rolling pin with more Wondra flour. Roll dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters of your choice and place dough onto baking sheet (preferably a baking stone). Sprinkle some with sugar, and leave others for icing.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes.
- Prepare and color royal icing and use a piping bag to decorate cookies.